The grey squirrel can cause a lot of damage by gnawing fascia boarding and roof joists, stripping electrical wiring and damaging stored belongings. These destructive activities increase the risk of fires and repairing the damage can be costly.
Grey squirrels often live and breed in roof spaces where it is safe and warm. They use loft insulation and other materials to create large nests (dreys).
How to tell if I have a squirrel problem
Even if you do not see squirrels you may suspect you have them.
The following are signs that squirrels may be present.
- Noises in your loft space.
- Droppings shaped like a raisin and ¼ inch.
- Damaged bird feeders.
- Damaged fascia boards and electrical wiring from gnawing.
- Loft insulation dragged into piles.
Upon identifying an infestation, DO NOT tidy up any evidence just Contact Us and we will help/advise with the next step in preparing an eradication program.
The program will consist of:-
- We would start with a thorough inspection of all known and suspected spots where they might be hiding.
- A full risk assessment and environmental assessment will be carried out to identify any hazards to determine which methods are most appropriate for dealing with the squirrel infestation.
- Once we have established the scale of the infestation we get to work straight away using traps in accordance with BASC’s trapping pest mammals code of practice.
- We will advise on any proofing and removal of any harbourage that is required and carry this out if requested at the end of the treatment.
- Scheduling a follow-up visit.
- Extra visits to investigate smells, even if resulting from a successful rodent treatment, are not covered and will be charged for at our standard call out rate.
To reduce the attraction of your home and garden to squirrels you should:
- Clear up and remove anything in your garden which might provide a food source for squirrels such as fallen fruit and spilled pet food.
- Not put bird food directly on the ground.
- Feed birds responsibly using mesh feeders or suspended tables.
- Use squirrel proof mesh bird feeders where possible.
- Cut back tree branches so they do not overhang your property.
- Trim wall climbing plants to prevent them from reaching from ground to roof level. Squirrels are excellent climbers and will utilize anything to access your property.
Please see some recent feedback.
SHELLEY SANDERS, DARWEN
JAQUEY WALL, ACCRINGTON
ROGER O’MAHONEY, HOLME CHAPEL
ELIZABETH HOLT, NELSON
NATALIE FOSTER, BLACKBURN
FRAN BYRAM, BURNLEY
Book Your Free Pest Evaluation Today
Book your free, no obligation site inspection today and one of our technicians will contact you to arrange a visit to your property at a time and date that suits you. Same day service available at no additional cost. Please complete and submit the form below or call us on 0800 002 9062 and one of our agents will assist you further.